Saturday, July 9, 2011

Finally launched

Finally got time to make a set of oars and launch the boat.  The oars turned out nice.  They're 9ft, with a nice taper, and they work well.


Wish I could say I'm as happy with the boat itself.  It's VERY tender.  I took the wife and daughter on the maiden voyage.  We rowed around for 15 minutes or so, then quit.  Besides being extremely tippy (to my eyes anyway), the oar blocks are too low for comfortable rowing.  I can't sit with my knees up and still row.  Have to stretch my legs straight out from the bench to be able to row, and that's a pain (literally...it hurts).  Either need to build a taller oar lock block, or may use an extended oar lock.  That's if I decide I can tolerate the tenderness, and right now, I'd have to say that's unlikely.


I still like the boat and am happy how it turned out, but being realistic, I don't think I'll be using it much, unless I can figure a way to deal with the feeling of instability.  Definitely tough to use as a family boat, even if I do get used to it myself. 

So, it may be going up for sale soon......



1 comment:

  1. hey congratulations...!Chnookie, finally you have launch your boat. It is looking great.Such a beautiful boat.You did really great work.

    Dubai Yacht Rent

    ReplyDelete