Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Waiting for glue to dry today, so I worked ahead on building a taper jig for use in cutting the frames later.  I'm going to make two sizes, both taper from 1 to 2 inches, but one will be 19 inches long, the other 22. 





Here's my jig.  Simple piece of scrap shelving and a piece of the same thickness board I will use for the frames.  Laid out the angle so that the right side will ride the edge of the table saw fence and the left is where the cutting will happen.  There's a stop at the front end to support the back of each board being ripped.  I should be able to get two frames from each board by flipping them end for end after the first cut. 

I needed to figure out a way to hold the board in place while cutting.  Too narrow for me to risk my pinkies on it.

I built a little bridge between two cutoff pieces of wedge shaped material I had.  Then put a small dado the width of two other wedges to recess them a bit to give them some more grip.


Jig all set up with a sample board.  Slap the board in, put the wedges in their dados and tap home with a hammer.  Seems to hold quite securely. 

I'm actually kind of proud of this little contraption.  Next up, I plan to build the twin version on the opposite side of the jig to allow for the cutting of the 22 inch frames on the same jig base.  Now that I have it all planned out, should be simple. 

Won't be any time soon I'll need it, but I needed something to do while glue dries. 

next up is putting the other side plank on, then the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment