Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chines

Chines are underway, although I'm starting to wish I'd followed Gardners specified "chine pieces". 

I ripped some strips out of my mahogany planking.  Originally, they were about 2 inches high, but they wouldn't flex at all vertically, so I had to trim them up to about 1.5 inches.  They are about 3/8 thick and bevelled on the bottom.  The "bottom" will eventually be the "top" so this bevel will allow the chines to shed water so it doesn't pool in the joint.  I left the top part square since it will be planed flat anyway.  This picture gives an end view of the bevel and the stacked laminations for the chines.


Here's the whole set in place.  I ran out of clamps and ended up having to use screws to hold some of the chines together while the glue sets.  They're just in approximate location right now.  I wanted to get them glued and solid before I tried to move them around too much. 

Speaking of glue, anyone have problems with Titebond III?  I've been using it and it either takes a really long time to set, or just doesn't hold well.  I've had a couple pieces I've had to reglue. 

Next up is planing and fitting the chines to their final locations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment