Sunday, October 31, 2010

Frames go in!

Gardner calls for a "baseline" of 28" above the building jig (boat is built upside down).  The middle mold goes 2" below the baseline, the two outer molds 2.5".  So, although I have painstakingly leveled and plumbed the jig itself, I figured why take any chances.  This string is set to be 28" above the jig.  It also happens to be level front to back.  So theoretically, as long as I measure correctly down from this line, everything will be lined up correctly.  Of course, this is all just a double check since I worked for hours leveling the frame too.  But what the heck.


With the string in place, I could then measure off it to set the height of the bottom of each mold.  These little blocks of wood correspond to the amount of offset from baseline to the bottom of the mold.  You can't see it, but they are also lined up on the center of each mold.  So putting them in was just a matter of lining the center line up, leveling with a spirit level across the top, and making sure the block just kissed the string line.  Pretty slick if I do say so myself.

Couple shots of the frames going in.
And one from end on.
 And finally, because I'm paranoid, I cross-braced the bejesus out of the whole thing.  Hey, with this little working space, I'm bound to trip over stuff.  Might as well nail it down good.


No comments:

Post a Comment